A lawsuit against Bill Cosby began in California on Monday, with a civil lawsuit alleging that the humiliated comedian sexually harassed a teenage girl nearly five decades ago.
Judy Hooth says a man once known as “America’s Dad” attacked her at the Playboy Mansion in the mid-1970’s when she was about 15 years old.
Hooth said he suffered “mental damage and emotional anguish” as a result of the alleged attack.
The lawsuit is the latest in a string of lawsuits against 84-year-old Kasby, once one of the most popular actors on U.S. television.
Dozens of women have said they were sexually abused at his hands.
Hooth’s lawsuit was originally filed in 2014, but Cosby was detained while facing charges of indecent assault in Pennsylvania.
Kosby was convicted 17 years ago of drug and sexual assault on a woman, but was released from prison after the state Supreme Court ruled that she had been denied a fair trial.
His release from prison – he spent more than two years of his three- to 10-year sentence – has angered many lawyers in the #MeToo movement.
This is the first time a celebrity has been convicted of sexual harassment since the advent of global accountability for sexual violence and abuse of power.
But the court did not acquit him, but found him guilty on technical grounds.
The judges wrote that a non-prosecution agreement between a former district attorney and Cosby that he testified in a separate civil case meant that the actor should not have been charged with a criminal offense in the first place.
In the case that local broadcasters reported starting Monday, Hooth claimed that he met Kasby on a film set and was invited to his tennis club a few days later.
There, she says, he gives her alcohol and takes her to the Playboy Mansion, where he forces her to have sex.
Kasbi has denied the version of his events.
Defense has jumped on the obvious inconsistency in Hooth’s claim.
The attack was initially alleged to have taken place in 1974, when he was 15 years old, but was recently reported to have taken place a year later.
The trial is under way in Santa Monica, Los Angeles, and has begun with a jury selection.
The opening argument is set for next week.
(Except for the title, this story was not edited by NDTV staff and was published from a syndicated feed.)