The United States has lifted the Cuba flight ban imposed under Trump

President Joe Biden’s administration on Wednesday lifted a series of restrictions on flights to Cuba imposed by its predecessor, including lifting the ban on US airlines flying to Cuban airports other than Havana.

The U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) issued the order at the request of Secretary of State Anthony Blinken, who said the move was “in support of the Cuban people and in the interests of U.S. foreign policy.”

The White House last month hinted at planned steps as part of a larger policy revision toward Cuba. Flight restrictions are effective immediately.

The Trump administration issued a series of aviation restrictions in 2019 and 2020 aimed at increasing U.S. economic pressure on the Cuban government. Read more

These include banning US carriers from flying to eight international airports in Cuba, outside of Havana, including Camague, Cayo Coco, Cayo Largo, Cienfuegos, Manzanillo, Matanjas and Santiago de Cuba.

Under President Donald Trump, the USDOT imposed a limit of 3,600 per year on charter flights to Cuba and later suspended private charter flights to Cuba. The department has banned flight charters at any airport in Cuba except Havana.

Then-Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Cuba “uses tourism and travel funds to finance its abuse and intervention in Venezuela. Dictators cannot be allowed to benefit from US travel.”

Under Trump, USDOT Havana and other approved charter flights have authorized public charters for “emergency medical purposes, search and rescue, and other travel considered in the interests of the United States.”

It is unknown at this time what he will do after leaving the post.

As a result of the order, USDOT rejected pending applications for emergency discounts and allocations for Havana public charter flights.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.