The Japanese man gambled millions after accidentally giving Kovid relief

Japanese man gambles millions of rupees after accidentally paying Kovid relief money to 463 people

The Japanese man is now missing. (Unsplash / representative image)

In a bizarre incident, a Japanese man who was accidentally given 46.3 million yen (about $ 358,000) in COVID-19 relief money said he could not return it because he had already gambled.

According to BBCThe 24-year-old, whose identity has not been released, received money from a COVID-19 relief fund into his bank account, which was to be shared among 463 people. Initially, he said he would cooperate with officials, but he has since disappeared. Municipal authorities in the southern city of Abu, Yamaguchi Prefecture, Japan, are now prosecuting the man and considering criminal proceedings.

In Japan, 463 low-income families were to receive 10,000 yen ($ 770) each as part of a government scheme to reduce the financial burden caused by the epidemic. But all funds – 46.3 million yen – were mistakenly deposited into the man’s personal bank account.

Also read | “It’s amazing to be here”: The world’s top YouTube star PewDiePie has moved to Japan

The BBC The man reportedly withdrew 600,000 yen a day for about two weeks. And when the authorities finally contacted him, he said he did not have the money, but would cooperate with the police.

“I have already transferred the money. It cannot be refunded. It cannot be undone. I will not run. I will pay for my crime,” he said, according to media outlets.

Speaking at a news conference earlier this week, his lawyer, on the other hand, said his client was cooperating with authorities and had agreed to be interviewed by prefecture police. But accordingly BBCOfficials have not been able to contact him since a lawsuit was filed against him on May 12.

His lawyer explained that the man had used his smartphone to steal all the money through the online casino site. He added that the 24-year-old lives alone and is the only person involved in the matter. “I don’t have any money at the moment and I don’t have any value for the property. In fact, it’s hard to get it back,” the lawyer was quoted as saying.

Also read | Japan “will finally cease to exist”, tweeted Elon Musk. Then, Ire follows

After the incident, Mayor Norihiko Hanada told residents that he was “deeply sorry” for the mistake and that his office would do its best to get the public back the huge amount of money. Mr Hanada added that a second round of payments of 100,000 yen had now been issued to eligible families.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.