Thai ‘suitcase corpse’ murder: 51-year-old British man convicted

Thai 'suitcase corpse' murder: 51-year-old British man convicted

Luke was ordered to pay only $ 300,000 and interest to Lakshmi’s mother.


A Thai court on Tuesday convicted a British man of murdering a woman whose body was found in a suitcase dumped in a river.

Shane Kenneth Luker was sentenced to eight years in prison for killing 27-year-old sex worker Lakshmi Manochat in a hotel room and disposing of her body.

Police say the photo was taken with 51-year-old Lakshmi – nicknamed “Puk” – who left the Bangkok go-go bar on November 1, 2014, before the couple was seen entering a hotel together.

Only Luke was seen leaving the compound, a Belloboy reported that his large bag was so heavy that it took two people to carry it, and a hotel cleaner said the bedding in the room was bloody.

A court official in the western city of Kanchanaburi said the accused had been convicted of the charges and sentenced to 16 years in prison but because of his confession, the court had halved his sentence to eight years without a suspended jail term.

Luker was ordered to pay only 10 million baht ($ 300,000) to Lakshmi’s mother, as well as two million baht plus interest for the murdered woman’s daughter, another court official said.

Lakshmi’s mutilated body was found on November 6, 2014, loaded with stones in a suitcase and dumped in the May Klong River.

Lucar’s DNA was later discovered under his fingernails.

The Kanchanaburi Provincial Court issued an arrest warrant on 28 January 2015 for “murder and concealment of the cause of death or concealment, transfer or destruction of a body”.

But Britain – who had been sleeping for weeks at his holiday home in Hua Hin’s upmarket Thai seaside resort before boarding the train on the Malaysian border – has already become hot in Spain.

Lucar was detained by Spanish authorities on the island of Ibiza in June 2017 on an international arrest warrant.

He has spent years fighting a wide-ranging legal battle against extradition, claiming he would be subjected to inhumane treatment in Thailand.

The European Court of Human Rights eventually rejected his challenge, after Thai authorities assured him he would not face the death penalty and sent him to the state to face trial in July.

(Except for the title, this story was not edited by NDTV staff and was published from a syndicated feed.)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.